Thursday, February 19, 2009

An ode to my ice cream maker

Oh Ice Cream Maker, how I love thee. You deliver tasty, cold, delicious treats with no chemicals. The ice cream that emerges from your depths is creamy, and does not foam when it melts (as does this brand). The sorbet that slides out of your tub is fruity and sweet and memorable. The sherbet, light yet complex.

My sister gifted me an ice cream maker for Christmas (pictured above). My husband has a hate on for one-purpose kitchen appliances, but I do believe he's come around thanks to the luscious treats I've served up thus far: caramelized pear ginger ice cream, vanilla bean fudge ripple studded with chunks of homemade almond roca, cranberry orange sorbet, mocha sherbet. Last night we added peach frozen yogourt to the list.

Oh so tasty.

Here's the recipe, along with a few photos from the proces.

Peach Frozen Yogurt
From David Leibowitz's Perfect Scoop
Makes about 3 cups.

1 1/2 lbs ripe peaches (about 5 large peaches) [I used up the last of the lovely Ontario summer peaches frozen in our freezer and this worked just fine)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt (I used Hewitt's all natural)
A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice (woops. had the lemons out but was bouncing a baby on my hip and forgot to add this. I imagine it would have brightened the flavour a tad)

Peel the peaches, slice them in half, and remove the pits. [Or, conveniently pull a bag that has been thus prepared months ago by your husband]. Cut the peaches into chunks and cook them with the water in a medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, and chill in the refrigerator.

When the peaches are cool, puree them in a food processor or blender with the yogurt until almost smooth but slightly chunky. Mix in a few drops of lemon juice. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

So easy and pretty healthy as well. No foaming here.


- Donna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there wasn't a reason for me to move to Ottawa before, this is it. It looks so smooth and creamy and delish!