Tuesday, May 5, 2009

As Promised

Here's a peek at something I worked on when I was away on that girl's sewing weekend. The plan was for everyone to make a Lotus Tunic, but when I arrived, I quickly realized that I was there on vacation. That tunic didn't look like vacation to me! Instead, I tackled a few smaller projects, one of which was produce bags for the grocery store. They're made out of the cotton muslin that was supposed to be the lining for the tunic along with some twill tape. They measure roughly 11" x 15". I couldn't resist adding some scraps to jazz them up a bit. Now the challenge will be to remember to bring them with me... I must get some points for good intentions, right?!

~Sara

PS - Don't miss out on the Coaster Swap! You have until Friday to sign up...

5 comments:

Donna said...

Cute! And bonus points for green design. When they're empty, put them in your trunk, and then you won't forget them! I keep our grocery bags in there (and one in the bottom of the stroller or in my purse if I'm not on mat leave!) and so I'm rarely caught out. All grocery stores in Ottawa are charging for bags now so it also saves some cash.

As for produce bags, I often don't take any, and do try and reuse the ones I do take. But cloth ones I hadn' thought of.

Anonymous said...

I've also seen produce bags made out of netting or very lightweight, sheer fabric. That way the bag doesn't add any weight to your produce, since most of it is sold by weight.

Sara said...

I was considering a lighter weight fabric like you've mentioned, but I wondered how secure the stitches would be in fabric like that. These do look bulky, but they're actually pretty light.

One Crafty Mumma said...

These are so lovely, love the stripe across the middle.

Sara said...

Thanks, Melissa!