Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lazy Daisy

I came to the grim realization yesterday, that my sewing space is getting a little clutter in it ...oh, who am I kidding, it's teetering on fire hazard status. In a fit of destashing, I decided to tackle my 2' stack of vintage linens.

I've been wanting a picnic blanket for our family for a while now and have been squirreling away that one sheet on the back for this exact project. It's one we had at home when I was a kid. With some fine inspiration from Donna's pillowcase quilt, I plunged into this head-on and stopped only to sleep. The blocks are 12" square and the finished quilt measures 68" x 68"; my biggest yet!

It's quilted 1/4" on either side of each seam which went together really fast. I had a little bit of trouble with some slight puckering where the quilting met at the corners, but nothing major. Most of them miraculously vanished in the wash!

This is the first time I've tried sewing the binding on 100% by machine. I could use a little more practice, but it wasn't half as bad as I thought using this method, or something loosely based on it! I'll definitely do it this way again. So much faster and a lot less worry that the whole thing is going to unravel in the washer.

Looks like Big E has her own plan for Lazy Daisy!

~Sara

9 comments:

Isa said...

Great colors. I love the back on this one

Donna said...

Jealous!! I am jealous . . did you do the Betz White Vinyl tablecloth thing?

Sara said...

I didn't. When I was picking the fabrics I decided I wanted to be able to cuddle in it as well! I'll save that bit of genius for another time!

danielle said...

that is too gorgeous! love the colours and the backing is perfect for a picnic : ) you have inspired me to be more thrifty with quilting...why spend hundreds on fabric when this looks just as stunning (or even better!)...off to the local thrift store....bye

Tamara said...

That looks great! Great job!

Kay said...

Oh how I wish I had enough coordinating sheets like that, this is gorgeous! I love the color palette, beautiful work.

Unknown said...

Cute picnic quilt! I wanna make one of those.

Ariane said...

I love it!! It's looks so cozy...wants to make your curl up with it.

Brooke said...

Happy picnicing on that pretty quilt.