Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eureka!

I made an enormous discovery last night. I might even go so far as to say it was a monumental discovery. Lately I've been toying with the idea of free motion quilting, but seeing that I have a roughly 40 year old Kennmore machine that was handed down from my mother (sound familiar, anyone?!) I didn't think I had a chance at becoming Queen of Free Motion.

On the contrary, my friend!! If there's a will, there's a way. After reading the manual (when all else fails!) I figured out that all I had to do was slip this little metal plate over my feed dogs, press the mystery button on the top of the machine, install the zig zag foot and that old machine was ready and raring to go!

To show my appreciation, I replaced the needle; the poor, dull needle that has been on the machine since it was passed down to me some 10 years ago. It just so happens I have a long list of projects on the go that will look so very lovely (I hope!) having been quilted free motion style! I started cutting out a scrap quilt for a baby present, but that'll go on the back burner until I get a few baby shower gifts sewn up for the weekend.

And since I had to go to the fabric store to get some white fabric for the scrap quilt, I picked up a few new lovelies and some fat quarters while I was there. Must. Stop. Buying. Fabric.



-Sara

2 comments:

Donna said...

Love the new fabric . . the floral on the right of the bottom picture I have too - a vintage find i thought . so excited to see what you can do with your new free motion ability. I am getting the required foot to unleash my husqvarna's free motion talents (at least I'm hoping that machine has some talent, as I'm not sure I do!) tomorrow.

notice the mobile swap thingee on the side - are you going to participate?

Anonymous said...

I signed up...surprise, surprise! It's been a while since I've swapped, so I figured I'd give it a go. Was thinking of something out of the same material I made the christmas ornaments out of.